Total Views

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Change of Scenery

Cuenca-Loja-Piura-Trujillo-Lima-Pisco

This past week has been absolutely crazy. I'm a little behind on blogs
compared to the others so I'll just touch briefly on what's happened
as of late.

Tale of two cities

Th two cities of Cuenca and Loja both represent to me the
unpredictable nature of this trip. In each city our contacts didn't
completely workout and we were left to do much of the searching on our
own. Cuenca, I had been reasonably confident that we would find some
pretty cool places and people to team up with, but we got nilch. While
in Loja, a seemingly unthought of option before Diegos house, we
randomly ran across some of the most amazing experiences of the trip
thus far.

It's mind boggling to me how some of the most routine decisions can
make a world of difference in the right circumstance. I mean who would
possibly guess that my decades old youth shirt (I like peer pressure)
would attract the attention of Sarah in the retirement facility.

I guess even God can use unnatural habits like keeping shirts for far
too long to change someones life. My mind just can't even grasp the
scenarios if I had not worn that shirt or if we hadn't gone to the
seniors home or if we hadn't even gone to Loja. The sheer magnitude of
what ifs is staggering. It's awesome to look back and see how Things
lineup perfectly even when for most of the time they may seem
pointless. It's a lesson in patience and humility.

After Loja we took a mammoth, marathon, maliciously long bus ride to
Pisco. In route we changed buses in Piura, Trujillo, and Lima. It took
us approximately 36 hours. Not only was the traveling exhausting, but
Peru is also suprisingly different from Ecuador and Colombia. The
landscape for one was has been very dry. We've been mainly on the
coast so lots of dunes, but also a ton a dirt and dust and little
vegetation. But peru also seems to be struggling a great deal more
than the other countries. Upon entrance we all felt the instant change
in atmosphere compared to the other countries. It was dramatic and
disheartening.

I feel a little guilty but up to this point I had been getting used to
the sight of poverty, but seeing it on this whole new level is
appalling. I'm at a loss when I attempt to imagine living the way so
many people do here.

Here in Pisco we've met some great people who have shown us the area
and the need. And It feels like we will really be able to help out at
least a few people a sizable amount. This area in 2007 was struck by a
earthquake that destroyed much of the city and the government thus far
has been little help, it's been three years and the damage is still
obvious. You don't realize how lucky you are until you see situations
like this.

Random thoughts

People can't pronounce Cory in spanish. It's impossible and humorous.

We've invented a game at the hostel using frogs, foosballs, and awesomeness.

Our trip today to islas ballestas was lovely. Penguins, pelicans, sea
lions, and an army of birds waiting to attack our boats with feces. We
were spared.

The pacific coast is beautiful.

I'm super tired of rice, chicken, and soda.

An ice cream with two rather small scoops cost about 30-40 cents here.
Just a little perspective for those curious.

Yesterday I saw the worst living conditions I've ever seen and the
image will be inprinted in my memory for a long time.

I can't begin to grasp the scope of damage here, it's hard to walk
through some of the seriously poor areas and know people are looking
at you expecting you to help and you can do very little. It's not easy
feeling helpless. We are so rich.

Miss you all

3 comments:

  1. love your insights Mr. Sage! people need to be more thankful. i find it pretty funny that no one can pronounce your name.

    ReplyDelete